Cottonwood Heights Real Estate
The area that is now Cottonwood Heights was settled in 1849 and was part of a large area called Union. By 1854, the community had built a fort and 23 additional homes inside the fort. As more and more settlers arrived, additional settlements popped up nearby.
Union included parts of Cottonwood Heights, Midvale, and Sandy. In the early 1900’s the main industries included the Deseret News’ Cottonwood Paper Mill, sand and gravel pits, mining, and agricultural farming. After World War II, there was an increased need for housing and the next two decades saw large population growth as well as the addition of several schools.
Cottonwood Heights was finally incorporated as a city on January 14, 2005. Located along the east bench of the Salt Lake Valley, it is the place to live for anyone in love with the outdoors. The neighborhoods in this beautiful suburb are close to Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, Ferguson Canyon, and Mount Olympus. There are tons of neighborhood parks and it is home to many families and professionals.
Things to do
Because of the close proximity to several canyons and ski resorts, many residents enjoy both winter and summer outdoor activities making this the ideal place to live. Alta, Brighton, Snowbird, and Solitude Ski resorts are all within 20 minutes of the suburb.
Butlerville Days – The annual founder’s celebration is the town’s largest event. Families enjoy a local parade, a car show, and concerts in the park. There is a carnival complete with inflatables for the kids. End the day with a movie in the park and a fireworks display. Fun for everyone!
The Hog Wallow Pub – Located across from the historic Old Mill at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon, the pub is a favorite watering hole for locals and visitors alike. This quaint pub was established in 1947 by a World War II Vet. He converted an old abandoned Civilian Conservation Corps Bunkhouse into a pub. What started out as “The Branding Iron” is now a popular hot spot known as The Hog Wallow Pub. City Weekly named it “Best Escape From Downtown.”
Porcupine Pub and Grill – Also located at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, this family-minded establishment is perfect for anyone who wants to grab a bite to eat after a day in the mountains.
Places of Interest
Cottonwood Paper Mill – The Old Mill is a crumbling building located at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon and has a very interesting history. It was completed in 1884 as the Deseret News’ Paper Mill. It was powered by a waterwheel and yielded 5 tons of paper a day. The mill was destroyed by a fire on April 1st, 1893. After that, the mill would never function again as a paper mill and changed ownership multiple times while remaining abandoned. In 1927, a private citizen rebuilt the mill and turned it into an open air dance hall. It was declared a historic site in 1966 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. Throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s it was a place of entertainment and even turned into a haunted house for Halloween. Unfortunately, in 2005 the city of Cottonwood Heights condemned the building due to earthquake building codes. It has been the target of repeated vandalism since 2005 but the owner still envisions a future for this historic building.
Hillside Plaza Shopping Center – The shopping center is a bit older, but has a variety of restaurants, shops, and a grocery store.
Dan’s Market – Dan’s Market has been around since 1948 and began as a family owned business. Even though it was acquired by Associated Food Stores in 2000, it remains a favorite grocery store for locals.
Ski N’ See – Looking to head up the canyon for a day of skiing? Ski N’ See is the premiere rental and retail ski shop in the area. Shop for gear, reserve rentals, or purchase lift tickets. You’ll find everything you need for a day on the slopes at this shop.
Schools in Cottonwood Heights are part of the Canyons School District formed in 2007 when the towns of Cottonwood Heights, Draper, Midvale, Sandy, and Alta voted to create a new school district. It was officially established in 2009 and became the first district created in 100 years.